Warm Christmas Greetings from your Morgan Township Trustees!
The Christmas Season is the most joyous time of the year! It can also be one of the most dangerous and deadly times of the year. Residential fires during the holiday season are more frequent, more costly and more deadly than any other time of year. To ensure a safe and joyous holiday season, here's a few tips:
Cooking - Cooking is the top cause of holiday fires, according to the USFA. The most common culprit is food that’s left unattended. It’s easy to get distracted; take a pot holder with you when you leave the kitchen as a reminder that you have something on the stove. Make sure to keep a kitchen fire extinguisher that’s rated for all types of fires, and check that smoke detectors are working. If you’re planning to deep-fry your holiday turkey, do it outside, on a flat, level surface at least 10 feet from the house.
Christmas Trees - buy a fresh tree with intact needles, get a fresh cut on the trunk, and water it every day. A well-watered tree is almost impossible to ignite. Keep the tree away from heat sources, such as a fireplace or radiator, and out of traffic patterns. If you’re using live garlands and other greenery, keep them at least three feet away from heating sources.
Decorative Lighting - inspect your lights and extension cords. Throw out any with frayed or cracked wires or broken sockets. Never run any more than three strings end to end. Check outdoor receptacles to make sure the ground fault interrupters don’t trip. If they trip repeatedly, they need to be replaced.
Candles - Set candles on sturdy bases or cover with hurricane globes. Never leave flames unattended and blow them out when leaving the room. Always keep them out of reach of children.
Fireplaces - Soot can harden on chimney walls as flammable creosote, have your chimney inspected to see if it needs cleaning. Screen the fireplace to prevent embers from popping out onto the floor or carpet, and never use flammable liquids to start a fire in the fireplace. Only burn seasoned wood — no wrapping paper. When cleaning out the fireplace, put embers in a metal container and set them outside to cool for 24 hours before disposal.
Alternative Heaters - Use kerosene heaters
and space heaters according
to the manufacturer’s
instructions. Alternative heaters need
their space. Keep anything
that could burn at least three feet away. Make sure your alternative heaters have “tip switches.” These
“tip switches” are designed to automatically turn off the heater in the event they tip over. Never refill a space heater while it is operating or still hot. Only refuel heaters outdoors.
Following these holiday tips can help to ensure a safe and happy Holiday Season!
Dog Tag Renewal
To find locations that will recycle your small household batteries go to the website: www.butlercountyrecycles.org
Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off
Every Thursday, 2:00pm to 7:00pm
July 14 to end of October
175 Westheimer Dr. Monroe, Ohio